Welcome to the Jeff Coston Golf Academy: Home of excellence. To play the golf of your dreams you must learn from an excellent coach. An excellent coach first has excellent information and experience. Secondly, they have passion, conviction and wonderful communication skills. This coach/teacher needs to express his information in a simple practical manner. Finally, it should be fun! Jeff has not only taught the game of golf but he has played it for a living. Jeff has seen the best of both worlds and understands how to help you. He will not only improve your swing mechanics, but help you shoot lower scores. Learn from one of the nation’s top 100 golf instructors, Jeff Coston.
Sign up now for the 21st annual Jeff Coston & Mike Bender Golf School! This year’s Golf School will take place June 22-23 and June 24-25 at Semiahmoo Resort. Space goes quickly! View information and rates
Jeff can answer such questions as:
- How do I go from a 15 handicap to a 9?
- How do I practice properly to make the most of my limited time?
- What is a mental and physical routine?
- What is an on-plane athletic golf swing?
- How can I play better on the course and in tournaments?
Things we do at the Jeff Coston Golf Academy:
- Understand and simplify your swing technique and scoring approach
- Practical drills and techniques to improve your mechanics
- Hit golf shots not just make golf swings, especially on the course
- Make a dynamic plan and strategy to get better and reach your goals
- Focus on the total golf game, not only one area
I have been playing and coaching golf my entire life. Golf has been my passion since age 12. I have sought to play and coach golf as well as it can possibly be done. This passion in my life and journey has taken me to the PGA Tour, winning on the Web.com tour, playing the Champions Tour and having the most major wins in the history of Pacific Northwest Golf. I say that to say this, "I am a better coach than I am a player!" Golf is not what I do but rather who I am.
I leave for the Hawaii State Open next week. To win, one must make putts. I'd better win to pay for this trip! Here are some principles, drills and mindsets I use and coach to help players putt better. (myself included)
1. Great speed on any putt is a non-negotiable.
I would say proper speed on a putt of 15-40 feet is a wonderful first step to more success on the greens. Golfers focus 80% of their mind on line and 20% on speed. I believe it should be reversed. 80% speed/20% read. If a player has great speed they will eliminate many 3 putt greens. Golfers leave putts short and long, that is why they 3 putt. If a player has great speed, they can believe and trust much more. Hit 40 foot putts and "just roll your golf ball" like throwing a horse shoe or a baseball.
Get target focused and aware. Get more "out of your head" and "into the target." Think athletic more than technique. A good image, "long putt, longer backstroke." Not necessarily a longer through stroke.
Begin your putting practice with speed drills from long distance. 30-40 foot putts.
2. Get a good set up at address
See photo at left:
- Hands below your shoulders.
- Most people would do better with a shorter putter. Come see me and get a proper fit. Choke down on your putter, will be helpful.
- Bend forward with your spine.
- Hands forward at address (also keep them forward through the stroke)
3. Make more putts 5 feet and under
See photo at right:
Put a tee at 5 places on the green 3 feet around a hole. (3', 5', 7') Call it the star drill. Take 5 golf balls and make 3 of 5 at each spot before you move on. Do the same drill at 5 feet and 7 feet at your 5 spots around the hole. You will improve.
4. Be mentally '''TOUGH"
- Commit to your read from 5 feet and in. Even if you are unsure of the break, get sure before you putt.
- Develop a repetitive, reactive routine
- Line the blade
- Line the body
- Hit the putt on the sweet spot of the putter each time. The sweet spot is the line on your putter. If you hit all putts solid on the sweet spot your ball will roll better and your speed will be more consistent.
Jeff Coston is a 20-time Pacific Northwest PGA Player of the Year. Jeff can be reached for appointment year-round by calling Semiahmoo Resort at 360-201-4590. Jeff also has a warm, dry academy building for year-round instruction.Read more!